In the wake of Abraham Lincoln's assassination, seven men and one woman are arrested and charged with conspiring to kill the President, the Vice-President, and the Secretary of State. The lone woman charged, Mary Surratt, a devout Catholic, owns a boarding house where John Wilkes Booth and others met and planned the simultaneous attacks. Her deep faith is a recurring motif, from the rosary beads she clutches to the priest who visits her. Against the ominous back-drop of post-Civil War Washington, newly-minted lawyer, Frederick Aiken, a 28-year-old Union war-hero, reluctantly agrees to defend Surratt before a military tribunal. As the trial unfolds, Aiken realizes his client may be innocent and that she is being used as bait and hostage in order to capture the only conspirator to have escaped a massive manhunt, her own son. The Conspirator is a riveting thriller that tells a powerful story about America then and now. Stars James McAvoy, Robin Wright, Kevin Kline, Evan Rachel Wood.
"The Conspirator brings history compellingly and even brilliantly to life."
- Steven Greydanus, National Catholic Register
Special Features Include:
- Audio Commentary with Writer Director Robert Redford
- Feature-Length Documentary "The Conspirator: The Plot to Kill Lincoln"
- Introduction to the American Film Company
- The Making of The Conspirator
- 10 "Witness History" Featurettes on the Historical Background and Making of the Film
- Theatrical Trailer and TV Spots
This film is rated: PG-13
This DVD contains the following language options: English with optional English and Spanish subtitles
This is a Region 1 DVD (playable ONLY in Bermuda, Canada, the Cayman Islands, United States and U.S. territories).