This album is a compilation of music with a sanctuary of contemplative treasures that touch the heart - peaceful sacred choral gems and quiet instrumental masterpieces whose spiritual depth makes them "prayers without words". All of these exceptionally beautiful performances have been drawn from the archives of Delos Productions - "The Great American Label"
Unlike the previous two "Sacred Songs" CDs on Angels and Mary, this volume features only American performing groups. Half of the songs are performed by New York City's acclaimed Voices of Ascension Chorus and Orchestra, founded and directed by conductor Dennis Keene. The group has made guest appearances with the San Francisco Symphony, the EOS Orchestra, and Lincoln Center's Mozart Festival. The album also features beautiful instrumental performances by pianist Carol Rosenberger, the Seattle Symphony, organist Todd Wilson, Chamber Music Northwest, and the Oxford String Quartet.
1. Your Mother and Mine - Voices of Ascension with Ramiro Belgardt, Cello (Sammy Fain & Sammy Cahn, arr. D. Fraser)
2. In Paradisum (from Requiem, Op. 9) - Voices of Ascension (Maurice Duruflé)
3. Ave Verum Corpus - Voices of Ascension (William Byrd)
4. Jesu Dulcis Memoria - Voices of Ascension (Tomás Luis de Victoria)
5. Eucaristica - Voices of Ascension (Pablo Casals)
6. Lux Aeterna (from Requiem, Op. 9) - Voices of Ascension (Maurice Duruflé)
7. Sancta Dorothea S.187/R.73 - Carol Rosenberger (Franz Liszt)
8. Cavatina (from String Quartet 13, Op. 130) - Orford String Quartet (Ludwig van Beethoven)
9. Prayer of St. Gregory Op. 62b - Seattle Symphony (Alan Hovhaness)
10. Adagio for Strings Op.11 (Arranged for Organ) - Todd Wilson (Samuel Barber)
11. String Quartet No. 16 in F major, Op. 135: III. Lento assai, cantante e tranquillo - Orford String Quartet (Ludwig van Beethoven)
12. In Praise of the Immortality of Jesus (from Quartet for the End of Time) - Chamber Music Northwest (Olivier Messiaen)